Skip to main content

First World Trash on Third World Shores


A week ago this was clean. See the wooden planks? That is a little bridge over a tidal creek and the ocean is to your left. High tides brought this trash in over just a few days. What a difficult challenge for people with few resources! 

Today was garbage pick-up day. I am happy because I walked through the village and saw guys with wheel barrows collecting the big black trash bags from the houses. It means there is progress. A few months ago there was no trash pick-up. Nowhere for the garbage to even go. Now it is shipped by small boats to a land fill on another island. But how are these people supposed to keep up when they have to deal with this? And who is going to pay to remove all the extra bags of trash this will be when it eventually gets picked up? 

I have been helping people when I can over the years, and I have always been a bit of a hippy myself, into organic food and natural living and caring for this lovely planet. But I never realized how much environmental issues are impacting the poor in the world until this week. 

These islands carry a high rate of birth defects. I see it in the faces of so many children. The islands also carry dengue fever and other serious health problems. I talked to a young man today who has a skin disease I can barely even talk about. His hands are so scared he has trouble moving them. 

The garbage we are producing in first world countries is ending up on the shores of third world countries and the people there are paying a high price for our throw-away style of living. Its one thing to think about the water we are polluting. It is quite another to sit on a street corner and talk with a young man who can't work and has no way to support himself and not enough money to buy soap to wash his clothes to cover his damaged skin because he is so ill from the refuse.

My heart goes out to these people. I know I can't fix the problem. But I am thankful that I becoming more aware of it and of how everything is connected. 

My wish is that we could stop with agendas that assuage our conscience and build our ego and get out of ourselves and SEE who is in front of us. Maybe in that way, little by little we could change our world. 

Love you all,
laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com All donations are tax deductible.

Live is an adventure, Live it!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Am Here: The Beauty in the Poor Places

I don't write about myself very often, but this time I just want to share a little bit. I want to tell you why I am here. I have been in Central America for five years now. I came on vacation and never went home. Something happened to me that is hard to explain. I walked streets I wasn't sure were safe. I went places I wasn't sure I would come back from. I got really far out of my comfort zone. And in the most unlikely places, I found life. Now I understand why Jesus ate with the prostitutes and drunkards. Why he went to the lost and the broken. They are actually cool people! You cannot imagine how amazing it was to hear their stories, to feel their pain and share their joy, to meet their families and get to know their names. I wish I could explain to you the beauty I see. I wish I could take the feeling that swells inside me and put it in your heart. I am without words, and so I try to convey in pictures the depth I see in their eyes the joy in the e

Good Bye For Now, Ubaldino. We Miss You

We lost a young man. His name was Ubaldino and he was 20. He was an orhpan who was left on the streets when he was about 12 with a 2 year old brother to care for. And he had a terrible skin disease. It is so hard to understand why some are born into this world to undergo such suffering. Ubaldino could not work because his condition. He knew he could not have a girl friend, which is heartbreaking to me, to think that you could never know that basic kind of love. We bought zinc for the roof of his house. before that, the rain poured in. We bought blankets and pillows for his bed because he had none. We bought clothing for him and for his little brother and food for their table. But it wasn't enough. This is difficult for me. I cared for a young man that no one would hug because of the way he looked. He came running across the street to me yelling, Mommy! everytime he was me. Sometimes I was frustrated with him because he wanted money to out minutes on his cell phone and I

The Secrets of Happiness and How to Happify Your Life with Happy Food

Maria with a guanabana ripe off the tree. Panama  Tell me please: What are SECRETS OF HAPPINESS? According to the Happy Planet Index , Costa Rica is the #1 Happiest Place on Earth!  I love this quote from the study:  People  living in Costa Rica have higher well being than the residents of many rich nations including the  USA and the UK, and live longer than people in the USA. Panama has repeatedly been the NUMBER ONE SPOT to retire overseas according to  International Living.  Check out this quote:  Internatio nal Living’s   Annual Global Retirement Index is hitting the presses. And in the top spot: Panama. I should say: Panama  again . Because this tiny powerhouse has topped this index more times than any other country. And this year, International Living is going over the top promoting Mexico as the up and coming best place to retire saying: The U.S.’s southern neighbor consistently makes  International Living’s  list of the 5 top countrie