Skip to main content

The Secrets of Happiness and How to Happify Your Life with Happy Food

Maria with a guanabana ripe off the tree. Panama 


Tell me please: What are SECRETS OF HAPPINESS?


According to the Happy Planet Index, Costa Rica is the #1 Happiest Place on Earth! I love this quote from the study: 

People living in Costa Rica have higher well being than the residents of many rich nations including the USA and the UK, and live longer than people in the USA.

Panama has repeatedly been the NUMBER ONE SPOT to retire overseas according to International Living. Check out this quote: 

International Living’s Annual Global Retirement Index is hitting the presses. And in the top spot: Panama.I should say: Panama again. Because this tiny powerhouse has topped this index more times than any other country.


And this year, International Living is going over the top promoting Mexico as the up and coming best place to retire saying:

The U.S.’s southern neighbor consistently makes International Living’s list of the 5 top countries to live in. Mexico boasts a great quality of life, natural beauty, modern infrastructure, and safety.


I lived and traveled in Mexico and Central America for the last five years. My heart is overwhelmed by the beauty of the people and the places I discovered there. I will admit, when I first arrived in some of the small local villages at the beginning of my adventure, I was in a bit of culture shock by what I perceived as poor living conditions. But, as time went on, I found myself having a profound perception change. Though the vast majority of people live in simple homes, don't drive cars, don't have fancy jobs, and spend a lot of time seemingly doing nothing, they are far happier than people from most developed countries. 

So, why are they so happy?


For the next few weeks, I am going to be writing on this subject. Stay turned because I believe we have some amazing lessons to learn from these wonderful people. 

To start with, I want to talk about one of the most foundational things to life...FOOD.


What is the happiness connection between Latin American FOOD and HAPPINESS?

Well, as you might guess, first of all, Latin Americans do not eat a ton of processed food. Go to the market--walk there--and take a look at the fresh fruits and veggies just begging to go home with you. You will find super-fruits hailed as the best new thing in Western medical research--like soursop and lychee--lining the shelves. I know its easy for us to say, yes, they get fresher fruit...yes they get super-fruits...and woe to me because I cannot get these things. And in part I know that's true. 


 But, I want to let you in on a secret. 


There are easy changes you can make in your own diet that reflect the magic of the happifying foods  in Latin America. 

A few popular Latin American foods that are easy to get at home include; avocados, bananas, mangoes, papaya, pineapples, coconut, cabbage, potatoes, chilies, limes, cilantro, black beans, tomatoes, eggs, chicken, coffee, vanilla, and chocolate.

So lets take a closer look at these popular foods. After doing some research, I think you will be delighted at what I discovered.


HAPPINESS FOOD QUOTIENT


AVOCADOS: Did you know avocados are rich in choline which boosts your brains natural serotonin, which in turns leaves you feeling relaxed and happy!


BANANAS: Bananas are a super-food for happiness. Not only are they high in potassium which helps reduce stress, but they are also a great source of tryptophan which helps your brain produce serotonin and melatonin making you feel happy and helping you get a good nights sleep. AND..they are high in magnesium, which for generations has been taken by people suffering from depression and is traditionally considered by modern scientists as the ORIGINAL CHILL-PILL!


BLACK BEANS: High in magnesium, high in potassium AND high in tyrosine, black beans have it ALL going for them. 


CABBAGE: Cabbage has natural endorphin-boosting properties and its full of vitamin B6 which helps reduce the stress hormone cortisal!

CHICKEN: Chicken is high in tyrosine which boosts your dopamine levels and helps you get your happy back. Maybe this was the real reason your mother made chicken soup when you were sick!


CHILIES: Full of something called capsaisan. That's what makes them hot! But did you know it also releases endorphins, your body's natural pain killers and actually leaves you feeling "high"? No wonder its so easy to get addicted to them!


CILANTRO: Not only is cilantro high in potassium which improves your mood and acts as a mild sedative, but it also is great for detoxing your body of heavy metals and, believe it or not, helps increase your intuition!


COCONUT and COCONUT OIL: Depression has recently been linked to inflammation and coconut is a great inflammation reducer. It's also metabolism and energy booster making it an effective food to help make you and KEEP you happy!


COFFEE: There is a REASON you drink that cup of morning brew. Did you know that in a recent study women who drank 3-4 cups of coffee showed 15-20 percent less tendency toward depression? In fact, coffee increases neurotransmitters in your brain like noradrenaline, serotonin and even that lovely stuff we call dopamine!


CHOCOLATE: Yes, chocolate is magical! Not sugary processed chocolate, but real raw cacao is packed with something called anandamide. Guess who its closest relative is? THC! Raw cacao's fancy name is theobroma cacao which literally means "food of the gods, cacao," and it was originally reserved only for kings! It packs a punch when it comes to the dopamine effect, promotes longevity,  and has been the secret, sacred drink of many indigenous people in Central American and Mexico for generations!

EGGS: Did you know eggs are high in BOTH tyrosine and tryptophan? Tyrosine helps your brain produce dopamine and tryptophan promotes serotonin production. What a great happiness combo! Note: Its the YOLK of the egg that gives you this benefit, so make sure you eat the yummy yellow part to get that good feeling.


LIME: Super C! A powerful stress reducer and reducer of that hormone cortisol that makes you feel like you are being chased by a tiger!


MANGO: Mangos are a great source of tryptophan that lovely compound that helps your brain relax, de-stress and produce tranquility promoting serotonin.


PAPAYA: Surprisingly high in vitamin C which reduces the stress hormone cortisol!


PINEAPPLES: Pineapples are packed with bromeline, a powerful anti-inflammatory and natural pain reducer. Get rid of inflammation and pain and increase your sense of well being.


POTATES: Potatoes give you a natural rise in your insulin level, a gentle and healthy one that actually creates conditions perfect for your brain to better absorb the all important tryptophan that gives you a rise in serotonin that leaves you feeling relaxed and happy =). 


TOMATOES: Tomatoes are high in lycopene, a phyto-nutrient that keeps stress at bay, helps repair brain cells, and reduces inflammation. They are also high in vitamin C which reduces that stress hormone cortisol. Studies show that eating a tomato a day can reduce depression by up to 52 percent!


VANILLA: Not only is this sweet bean from an orchid flower an aphrodisiac, but it works as a natural sedative reducing inflammation and providing relief from anxiety, anger, and restlessness. It lowers blood pressure and brings a feeling of calm, lifts your mood, and literally has a tranquilizing effect on your brain! 


NOTICE WHAT'S MISSING HERE?


sugar.............

Traditional Latin American diets are very low in sugar. You will find amazing looking pastries at the panaderia on every street corner, but one bite will show you the enormous difference in sugar content. And aside from these lightly sweet breads, most Latin American's don't really eat any sugar at all. Some add it to their coffee along with milk (not cream and definitely not the fake stuff I am so guilty of using) but that is about the only other time they use sugar. In fact, dessert is not even found on most local menus and when it is it usually consists of fruits. 

A dear friend of mine who recently moved to Mexico's Pacific coast recently updated her FB status with this comment:

My flavor pallet towards sweets has changed since I moved to Mexico. The pan dulces and cookies here are much less sweet and initially I missed the extra sugar. Last night I made traditional Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies and they were soooo sweet, I almost couldn't eat them. Almost.
                                                                                        Thanks, Tangi Davis!



I am utterly convinced that our general sense of happiness is powerfully affected by our life-style and that we have so much to learn from the happy-go-lucky people of Mexico and Central America. FOOD, while enormously important, is only the tip of the iceberg. 

Stay tuned for more unraveling of the secrets of happiness. There is a cookbook in the works full of recipes that will increase your happiness quotient, yes! But there are a lot of other, just as important secrets soon to be revealed too! #happifyyourlife 

Here's to Happiness!
laura

for info on my upcoming retreat on HOW TO HAPPIFY YOUR WORLD held in PUERTO MORELOS MEXICO you can go to













Comments

  1. I can say my body completely agrees with you, especially about chocolate being food of the gods. To get ready for our move to Costa Rica my daughter and I are eating more black beans, avocado and plantains. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...so yummy indeed! And I drink cacao, chocolate, every day...its awesome stuff.....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Poverty: Images in Mexico

Have you ever been drawn to things without a definable reason? Its at a deeper level than the intellect and a flood of emotion and power rises up from in your core and overwhelms your senses. Kind of like your spirit knows something, understands something that your mind does not. And when you come into contact with that thing, your spirit is moved and it communicates its desires in waves of energy that run through you bringing tears to your eyes and breathlessness to your stomach and an interior knowing that you have brushed against something of utmost importance. Its like that for me when I visit the poor. I am only using the word poor for your benefit because it conjurers up an image in your head that is the image I want you to have. You see ramshackle houses with dirt floors and no running water. You see chickens running in the road and skinny dogs sleeping in the sun and rusted tin roofs and scattered rolls of barbed wire and car parts and toilet seats and piles of broken r

Good Bye For Now, Ubaldino. We Miss You

We lost a young man. His name was Ubaldino and he was 20. He was an orhpan who was left on the streets when he was about 12 with a 2 year old brother to care for. And he had a terrible skin disease. It is so hard to understand why some are born into this world to undergo such suffering. Ubaldino could not work because his condition. He knew he could not have a girl friend, which is heartbreaking to me, to think that you could never know that basic kind of love. We bought zinc for the roof of his house. before that, the rain poured in. We bought blankets and pillows for his bed because he had none. We bought clothing for him and for his little brother and food for their table. But it wasn't enough. This is difficult for me. I cared for a young man that no one would hug because of the way he looked. He came running across the street to me yelling, Mommy! everytime he was me. Sometimes I was frustrated with him because he wanted money to out minutes on his cell phone and I

Why I Am Here: The Beauty in the Poor Places

I don't write about myself very often, but this time I just want to share a little bit. I want to tell you why I am here. I have been in Central America for five years now. I came on vacation and never went home. Something happened to me that is hard to explain. I walked streets I wasn't sure were safe. I went places I wasn't sure I would come back from. I got really far out of my comfort zone. And in the most unlikely places, I found life. Now I understand why Jesus ate with the prostitutes and drunkards. Why he went to the lost and the broken. They are actually cool people! You cannot imagine how amazing it was to hear their stories, to feel their pain and share their joy, to meet their families and get to know their names. I wish I could explain to you the beauty I see. I wish I could take the feeling that swells inside me and put it in your heart. I am without words, and so I try to convey in pictures the depth I see in their eyes the joy in the e