Skip to main content

Leaving the Farm and the Poverty Cycle

This is the cacao market. The white bags are full of cacao just picked from chocolate forests in the wild. These people are Ngobe farmers. They are bringing cacao to market to sell it for almost nothing to make a few dollars to buy the things they need.

I want to talk about a few things here. First, the value of the cacao.

It is coming to the attention of many that chocolate, in its purest form, is actually good for you. That is so true, in fact more than true. I spent some time in Costa Rica with the Bribri. A woman there who was in her late 70's told me she never puts any chemicals into or on her body. She eats only things that are natural and she drinks 5 or 6 cups of raw cacao a day. Its unsweetened and boiled in water and tastes nothing like what your mother made.

The native people in Costa Rica are some of the longest lived people on earth.

In fact, the little old lady climbed a noni tree right in front of me to pick some noni leaves and show me how to make tea. But that's another story.

So we agree that cacao is a super-food, an amazing health secret, a powerful cancer preventer, an all natural mood lifter, and has the ability to help you think more clearly and thereby accomplish more in life.
Problem:
The younger generation of Ngobe do not drink their own cacao. They sell it.

Which brings me to the second thing I want to talk about. The Problem of Modern Society.

The Ngobe people live in a climate where most anything you can imagine grows wild. Mango, breadfruit, jackfruit, guanabana (powerful cancer fighter), coconut, cacao (that's chocolate, remember), water apple, orange, bitter orange, lime, naranjito (makes an great orange drink), guaba (also called ice cream bean), banana (about a zillion varieties), lychee (another super food), avocado (yes wild), ginger, monkey tail (like the ice cream beans, only bigger), and so much more. And that is only the foodstuff, if we were talking about medicinal plants the list would never end. In addition, the farmland will produce just about anything you want to plant
But, as one expat who has been living in Central America for many years put it, "The moment that first fruit truck appeared over the mountain, they left the farms."

Enter modern society.
Who would have thought that bringing fruit to market would create poverty? Well it did. But it wasn't just the fruit. It was the TV's and the cell phones and the fancy sneakers and the hiphop hats and the gold necklaces, but interestingly enough, not the refrigerators that you would like you could not live without.

The power of the bling-bling is sensational.Traditional people see that they don't have to work the ground or climb the trees anymore. They can sit inside and watch TV and text on their cell phones. They don't really need refrigerators (I have lived here nine months now without one) and they'd rather spend their money on buying minutes for their phones or video games or fancy watches or earrings or necklaces.

Now understand, it isn't that I think they should not have these things. But they are not prepared for a life of "stuff" They cannot find jobs that pay enough for them to BOTH buy fancy things and eat.

So they don't eat.

Well they do eat, but they have given up the healthy foods of the jungle and opted for cheap rice and bananas and occasionally a little bit of chicken. And their health is suffering. These people who were once rugged and fit, almost never needing a doctor, are now overweight, seriously lacking in nutrition, and often sick.
So what do we do?
How do we turn back time?
Obviously we can't and it isn't necessarily the best thing to do. It wouldn't be fair to these people to deny them the modern conveniences we enjoy. Its really easy for me to sit here in the air conditioning on my soft bed and complain about how they should just go back to the jungle.

But I think many people in the Western world are becoming aware of the problems of a money based culture. Many are working to create simpler, more connected lives, learning how to garden and use solar power and rain water. I see it everywhere.

We have played the money game and are seeing the pitfalls. But the Ngobe are just now walking in the way we have already been.

Is it possible for us to support their ancient way of life and even learn from them (which many of us want to do) while still supporting their transition into the modern world?

These are not easy questions.

But we are trying to answer them.

Still Working on the Problem,
Laura










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Am Here: The Beauty in the Poor Places

I don't write about myself very often, but this time I just want to share a little bit. I want to tell you why I am here. I have been in Central America for five years now. I came on vacation and never went home. Something happened to me that is hard to explain. I walked streets I wasn't sure were safe. I went places I wasn't sure I would come back from. I got really far out of my comfort zone. And in the most unlikely places, I found life. Now I understand why Jesus ate with the prostitutes and drunkards. Why he went to the lost and the broken. They are actually cool people! You cannot imagine how amazing it was to hear their stories, to feel their pain and share their joy, to meet their families and get to know their names. I wish I could explain to you the beauty I see. I wish I could take the feeling that swells inside me and put it in your heart. I am without words, and so I try to convey in pictures the depth I see in their eyes the joy in the e

Good Bye For Now, Ubaldino. We Miss You

We lost a young man. His name was Ubaldino and he was 20. He was an orhpan who was left on the streets when he was about 12 with a 2 year old brother to care for. And he had a terrible skin disease. It is so hard to understand why some are born into this world to undergo such suffering. Ubaldino could not work because his condition. He knew he could not have a girl friend, which is heartbreaking to me, to think that you could never know that basic kind of love. We bought zinc for the roof of his house. before that, the rain poured in. We bought blankets and pillows for his bed because he had none. We bought clothing for him and for his little brother and food for their table. But it wasn't enough. This is difficult for me. I cared for a young man that no one would hug because of the way he looked. He came running across the street to me yelling, Mommy! everytime he was me. Sometimes I was frustrated with him because he wanted money to out minutes on his cell phone and I

The Secrets of Happiness and How to Happify Your Life with Happy Food

Maria with a guanabana ripe off the tree. Panama  Tell me please: What are SECRETS OF HAPPINESS? According to the Happy Planet Index , Costa Rica is the #1 Happiest Place on Earth!  I love this quote from the study:  People  living in Costa Rica have higher well being than the residents of many rich nations including the  USA and the UK, and live longer than people in the USA. Panama has repeatedly been the NUMBER ONE SPOT to retire overseas according to  International Living.  Check out this quote:  Internatio nal Living’s   Annual Global Retirement Index is hitting the presses. And in the top spot: Panama. I should say: Panama  again . Because this tiny powerhouse has topped this index more times than any other country. And this year, International Living is going over the top promoting Mexico as the up and coming best place to retire saying: The U.S.’s southern neighbor consistently makes  International Living’s  list of the 5 top countrie