Skip to main content

The Harsh Price of Connection in a Rural Community in Panama

Sometimes things are encouraging, sometimes they are sad. Recently we have lost a lot of people in our town. We moved to Almirante, a small poor village. We wanted to really live among the locals. I wanted to be their neighbor and really get to know them.

Now we have Noile who lives across the way. She is in her 60's and speaks Creole English and Spanish. She brings me limes from her garden and I give her star apples from mine.
The kids come and play American football in the yard and they say "Hi!" in English to us when they ride by on their bicycles.They are excited to try out a new language.

We started putting in a garden and some of the boys came and helped up pick stones out of the dirt.

But a couple of weeks ago one of the little boys died. He went into the hospital with a headache and they said he died from complications with his liver.

And then the man we rent our little house from died.

And the man who lived next door died too,

And so did the man just around the corner.

And then two days ago the grandmother of a young man who works for us and has become our friend passed away. She was everything to her grandson. Its like that in this culture. Often the mother is young when the children are born, Or sometime there are so many children she needs a lot of help. In either case, the grandmother becomes an important part of the child-rearing. They are like a mother to the children and are often much younger than grandmothers in the US tend to be.

So Yamar's grandmother died and Lee attended the funeral today. He saw Yamar shaking in the corner and asked what was up.

Yamar explained.

That morning he went to the place where his grandmother's body was kept cold. He and his two cousins took her stiff body out of the freezer drawer and bathed her. They dressed her to make her look nice and put her in a coffin and then brought it to the church.

I was so shocked and tried to imagine how he must have felt.

And then I remembered the little 10 year old boy who was playing happily in our yard a couple of weeks ago. Who washed his body? His mother? His father? Who dressed him neatly and put him in a coffin?

Oh, we are so spoiled in America. We do not understand what it is to be connected to life. And to death. Now I understand why all the children understood about Ubaldino, the orphan boy we lost a little over a month ago.

This is a small community. There are less than 10,000 souls. How is it that I know so many personally that have gone on to the next realm just this month?

Love can be devastating.... But I still choose to live it.


Being real
laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com All donations are tax deductible.


Live is an adventure, Live it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Am Here: The Beauty in the Poor Places

I don't write about myself very often, but this time I just want to share a little bit. I want to tell you why I am here. I have been in Central America for five years now. I came on vacation and never went home. Something happened to me that is hard to explain. I walked streets I wasn't sure were safe. I went places I wasn't sure I would come back from. I got really far out of my comfort zone. And in the most unlikely places, I found life. Now I understand why Jesus ate with the prostitutes and drunkards. Why he went to the lost and the broken. They are actually cool people! You cannot imagine how amazing it was to hear their stories, to feel their pain and share their joy, to meet their families and get to know their names. I wish I could explain to you the beauty I see. I wish I could take the feeling that swells inside me and put it in your heart. I am without words, and so I try to convey in pictures the depth I see in their eyes the joy in the e

Good Bye For Now, Ubaldino. We Miss You

We lost a young man. His name was Ubaldino and he was 20. He was an orhpan who was left on the streets when he was about 12 with a 2 year old brother to care for. And he had a terrible skin disease. It is so hard to understand why some are born into this world to undergo such suffering. Ubaldino could not work because his condition. He knew he could not have a girl friend, which is heartbreaking to me, to think that you could never know that basic kind of love. We bought zinc for the roof of his house. before that, the rain poured in. We bought blankets and pillows for his bed because he had none. We bought clothing for him and for his little brother and food for their table. But it wasn't enough. This is difficult for me. I cared for a young man that no one would hug because of the way he looked. He came running across the street to me yelling, Mommy! everytime he was me. Sometimes I was frustrated with him because he wanted money to out minutes on his cell phone and I

The Secrets of Happiness and How to Happify Your Life with Happy Food

Maria with a guanabana ripe off the tree. Panama  Tell me please: What are SECRETS OF HAPPINESS? According to the Happy Planet Index , Costa Rica is the #1 Happiest Place on Earth!  I love this quote from the study:  People  living in Costa Rica have higher well being than the residents of many rich nations including the  USA and the UK, and live longer than people in the USA. Panama has repeatedly been the NUMBER ONE SPOT to retire overseas according to  International Living.  Check out this quote:  Internatio nal Living’s   Annual Global Retirement Index is hitting the presses. And in the top spot: Panama. I should say: Panama  again . Because this tiny powerhouse has topped this index more times than any other country. And this year, International Living is going over the top promoting Mexico as the up and coming best place to retire saying: The U.S.’s southern neighbor consistently makes  International Living’s  list of the 5 top countrie