Skip to main content

Death and Hope in Golondrina: A Displaced Family in Bocas Del Toro, Panama


Maria and her baby brother used to live next door along with the rest of the seven people in their family. They had a little house with running water and electricity, a privilege many do not have in this community. But several days ago all seven of them were asked to leave their home because they could not pay the rent.

They stood outside my house, hearts broken, a few simple things in bags, and said they planned to live in the parking lot at the bank. There was a policeman there and a wide over hang on the building, so it was a good place to sleep.


This is the house out behind my house in rural Panama. Both homes belong to a lovely older woman named Shirley. She is tall and dark with high cheekbones. She wears her silver hair in a bun and always dresses in skirts and she has the mostly lovely Jamaican yah-mon English. Shirley is a woman acquainted with sadness. She lost her soul-mate, the husband of her youth, when she was in her twenties and became a widow. She lost two more husbands after that. She has a son who lives in the states and the house we live in belongs to him. This house, the one I call the house out back, is in tragic disrepair. It once belonged to Shirley's daughter who was swept away in a river along with her young son and drowned.

Shirley has kept the home as a memorial to her daughter and grandson.

It has been ransacked by vandals and is currently no more than a shell with floor boards missing and wall boards missing. It is an open room with the wind blowing through and is difficult and dangerous to enter because the wood stairs are mostly rotten or missing.

Shirley would love to restore the house, but she has no funds. So every few weeks she simply comes to gaze at the home and dream of the past and light and laughter.


This is Lee with Maria, another of her brothers and two cousins. Lee has been my partner for five years. Together we have committed to not just working with the poor, but to loving them, to living in their community, to being part of their lives. Lee is a builder by trade. When he saw Maria and her family standing out front with no place to go but a parking lot, he came up with a plan. He called Shirley and asked if the displaced family of seven could live in her daughter's house. In exchange he would restore the little home. 

Shirley's heart was torn. 

But in the end she agreed to push her pain aside and allow life to reside in the home of her daughter again. 


Together Lee and Maria's father started nailing old pieces of wood that were strewn in the grass back onto the floors and walls. They hung a curtain in the center of the little house to separate a living space from a sleeping space. They cleared the long grass around the home and built a fire pit so Maria's mother and older sister could cook rice.

So much still needs to be done. There is no bathroom. No running water, much less electricity.

But there is life again.

Please help us help this family. Help us raise the funds we need to make this home safe and clean for them. Help us make good on our promise to Shirley to restore the home of her lost daughter and grandson.

Sometimes, in the midst of pain, it is still possible for joy to come.

Much Love and with a Full heart,
Laura

You can donate through paypal by sending your donation to connect@povertyprojectinternational.com
or go to the link on our website at www.povertyprojectinternational.com

Together, we can make a difference.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Am Here: The Beauty in the Poor Places

I don't write about myself very often, but this time I just want to share a little bit. I want to tell you why I am here. I have been in Central America for five years now. I came on vacation and never went home. Something happened to me that is hard to explain. I walked streets I wasn't sure were safe. I went places I wasn't sure I would come back from. I got really far out of my comfort zone. And in the most unlikely places, I found life. Now I understand why Jesus ate with the prostitutes and drunkards. Why he went to the lost and the broken. They are actually cool people! You cannot imagine how amazing it was to hear their stories, to feel their pain and share their joy, to meet their families and get to know their names. I wish I could explain to you the beauty I see. I wish I could take the feeling that swells inside me and put it in your heart. I am without words, and so I try to convey in pictures the depth I see in their eyes the joy in the e

Good Bye For Now, Ubaldino. We Miss You

We lost a young man. His name was Ubaldino and he was 20. He was an orhpan who was left on the streets when he was about 12 with a 2 year old brother to care for. And he had a terrible skin disease. It is so hard to understand why some are born into this world to undergo such suffering. Ubaldino could not work because his condition. He knew he could not have a girl friend, which is heartbreaking to me, to think that you could never know that basic kind of love. We bought zinc for the roof of his house. before that, the rain poured in. We bought blankets and pillows for his bed because he had none. We bought clothing for him and for his little brother and food for their table. But it wasn't enough. This is difficult for me. I cared for a young man that no one would hug because of the way he looked. He came running across the street to me yelling, Mommy! everytime he was me. Sometimes I was frustrated with him because he wanted money to out minutes on his cell phone and I

The Secrets of Happiness and How to Happify Your Life with Happy Food

Maria with a guanabana ripe off the tree. Panama  Tell me please: What are SECRETS OF HAPPINESS? According to the Happy Planet Index , Costa Rica is the #1 Happiest Place on Earth!  I love this quote from the study:  People  living in Costa Rica have higher well being than the residents of many rich nations including the  USA and the UK, and live longer than people in the USA. Panama has repeatedly been the NUMBER ONE SPOT to retire overseas according to  International Living.  Check out this quote:  Internatio nal Living’s   Annual Global Retirement Index is hitting the presses. And in the top spot: Panama. I should say: Panama  again . Because this tiny powerhouse has topped this index more times than any other country. And this year, International Living is going over the top promoting Mexico as the up and coming best place to retire saying: The U.S.’s southern neighbor consistently makes  International Living’s  list of the 5 top countrie