Skip to main content

I am Going to Oaxaca to Help in the Aftermath of an 8.1 Earthquake.

I am going. So many people have done so much already. So much more needs to be done. Some towns have not been reached yet and they are asking for help. So I am joining a team (mostly from Alaska) to go to a couple villages in Oaxaca, MX and help distribute food, water, clothing, and medical supplies...and do whatever else I can.

Oaxaca, one of Mexico's poorest regions, was hard hit by the 8.1 earthquake a few weeks ago and then hit again by another quake just a week after that. Many homes are completely destroyed and people are sleeping in the streets.

I have a friend named Maria who has an orphanage in Oaxaca. She was visiting family in Alaska and trying to get back to Mexico when the second earthquake hit. She had to reschedule her flight and ask friends in MX to close the orphanage building until they could properly assess the damage and make repairs.

Maria will be back in Mexico soon to see what can be done for her own ministry to the children and to lead an emergency team into some of the unreached towns in the surrounding area.
Here is a photo of Maria and an update from her:

Maria Pedro square

Dear friends, a quick update,
I spoke with my staff and with Pr. Adolfo from the association of churches. The city of Juchitan is receiving a lot of help...Thanks to God and wonderful giving people and government. There are many villages that are not receiving any help in our district. They are asking for food, water and clothing. There are many who are sleeping on the ground where their home lies destroyed in pieces.
We are taking our team to the towns of Ixhuatan and Cerro Chico. Both of these towns are accessible by a high way. Many towns we would like to serve have no roads at this time due to daily earthquakes. In all these places people whose homes were damaged have now fallen and even untouched ones are now gone.

We are still hoping for more team members. We also need financial resources for travel, canned food and fresh food for the villages and medical supplies.

Please, contact us if you are able to join our team leaving approximately October 13th. Also if you can give financially we would appreciate your help.

Blessings to all

I really can't wait to go. You all know my heart.
I will post updates as I get them. Please subscribe to this blog if you want to get them directly. And please give what you can at https://www.gofundme.com/help-Oaxaca-MX

Every little bit helps.

Much love and many blessings,
laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Poverty: Images in Mexico

Have you ever been drawn to things without a definable reason? Its at a deeper level than the intellect and a flood of emotion and power rises up from in your core and overwhelms your senses. Kind of like your spirit knows something, understands something that your mind does not. And when you come into contact with that thing, your spirit is moved and it communicates its desires in waves of energy that run through you bringing tears to your eyes and breathlessness to your stomach and an interior knowing that you have brushed against something of utmost importance. Its like that for me when I visit the poor. I am only using the word poor for your benefit because it conjurers up an image in your head that is the image I want you to have. You see ramshackle houses with dirt floors and no running water. You see chickens running in the road and skinny dogs sleeping in the sun and rusted tin roofs and scattered rolls of barbed wire and car parts and toilet seats and piles of broken r

Good Bye For Now, Ubaldino. We Miss You

We lost a young man. His name was Ubaldino and he was 20. He was an orhpan who was left on the streets when he was about 12 with a 2 year old brother to care for. And he had a terrible skin disease. It is so hard to understand why some are born into this world to undergo such suffering. Ubaldino could not work because his condition. He knew he could not have a girl friend, which is heartbreaking to me, to think that you could never know that basic kind of love. We bought zinc for the roof of his house. before that, the rain poured in. We bought blankets and pillows for his bed because he had none. We bought clothing for him and for his little brother and food for their table. But it wasn't enough. This is difficult for me. I cared for a young man that no one would hug because of the way he looked. He came running across the street to me yelling, Mommy! everytime he was me. Sometimes I was frustrated with him because he wanted money to out minutes on his cell phone and I

Why I Am Here: The Beauty in the Poor Places

I don't write about myself very often, but this time I just want to share a little bit. I want to tell you why I am here. I have been in Central America for five years now. I came on vacation and never went home. Something happened to me that is hard to explain. I walked streets I wasn't sure were safe. I went places I wasn't sure I would come back from. I got really far out of my comfort zone. And in the most unlikely places, I found life. Now I understand why Jesus ate with the prostitutes and drunkards. Why he went to the lost and the broken. They are actually cool people! You cannot imagine how amazing it was to hear their stories, to feel their pain and share their joy, to meet their families and get to know their names. I wish I could explain to you the beauty I see. I wish I could take the feeling that swells inside me and put it in your heart. I am without words, and so I try to convey in pictures the depth I see in their eyes the joy in the e